Sunday, September 14, 2008

‘Miracle baby’ arrives home after US surgery

‘Miracle baby’ arrives home after US surgery

Updated on 9/7/2008 at 16:29

Phung Thien Nhan, the miracle baby who survived an attack by wild animals in a jungle two years ago, arrived home Thursday after undergoing surgery in the US.

The tot and his adoptive parents Tran Mai Anh and Phung Quang Nghinh arrived in Hanover, New Hampshire less than three weeks ago where the boy underwent surgery on his groin.

Nhan’s mother told Thanh Nien Daily that she was excited after arriving in the US as the trip would mark the start of a long process to bring normalcy back into the child’s life.

Dubbed the “miracle boy,” Nhan’s story led to an outpouring of public sympathy when it was discovered his teenage mother had left him to die in the forest after giving birth in a small town in central Vietnam.

Nhan was discovered 72 hours later, his body covered in blood after his groin and leg were severely attacked by wild animals.

The boy was rushed to a hospital where doctors managed to save his life, though he was left with just one leg and a mangled groin area.

In March, Nhan was adopted by Anh and Nghinh, a journalist couple from Hanoi

Anh said the toddler’s initial examination took place on August 19 at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center. It was determined the boy needed intervention as soon as possible to allow Nhan to urinate more easily and to eliminate the possibility of a blockage that might lead to infection.

The genital surgery on August 21 was a complete success and Nhan will now have total control of his bladder and urinary functions, Anh said.

On August 26, a medical team from Chicago’s Rehabilitation Institute evaluated the boy’s prosthetic leg and his ability to move.

Anh said her family was happy to learn that with modifications to his prosthetic limb and physical therapy, Nhan should be able to walk normally in a matter of years.

Anh said the total cost of Nhan’s treatment is approximately US$120,000 and they have now received more than $50,000 in donations.

The toddler will still need to undergo reconstructive surgery on his groin over the next four years, said Greig Craft, president of the Asia Injury Prevention Foundation (AIPF).

“We will do our best everyday to build up a normal life for Nhan despite the long process of medical treatment and rehabilitation,” Anh said after arriving home.


No comments: